Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"Oh, D-D-D-Dear!!!!" - piglet

Untitled 9"x10" oil


Pardon my absence. I've recently discovered FACEBOOK as a means of reaching people with my art. Whilst doing that, I've also begun to explore landscape painting. I've found this to be very enjoyable because for me putting a figure into a painting takes alot more time. Eliminating the figure allows me to give attention to other aspects of a painting. When it's strictly landscape I have much more leeway and flexibility; if I want to add an extra tree in the foreground I can do so. This, however, is not the case with an arm, leg, hand or nose. I've posted a painting I found in our basement.(How did that get down their?) It was done En Plein-Aire. (outdoors) I think it was either in Madison or Guilford, I can't remember. I'm still planning to paint figures, but landscapes will allow me broaden my understanding of light, shadow, color and value. I may even add woodland creatures; such as a squirrel or a deer to these images if I can get good photo references. Speaking of woodland creatures, several years ago I actually saw, and I am not making this up, a lost dear on on Whalley Ave. in New Haven near the corner of Orchard St. Nobody knew how the deer wound up all the way down in the city. The poor little deer was as confused as James Brown finding out his tour manager booked him to perform for seven nights in a row at The Grand Ole Opry. ( I have a wierd habit of using singer James Brown as the basis for metaphores and similis.) Stay tuned for my next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment