Monday, November 5, 2012

"And now here's something we hope you'll really like"

                                          " Moose Meadow Morning"  oil on canvas  34"x 28"


Hello again everybody. I know many of may be thinking what in the world is this? This was a commissioned painting that I completed over the summer for MOOSE MEADOW CAMPGROUND in West Willington, CT. This was definitely a change of subject matter from what I usually do. There are many artists who specialize in wildlife art. Many contemporary wildlife artists are featured in the magazine ART OF THE WEST. Although I don't consider myself a wildlife or western genre artist, I've been buying issues of that particular magazine for ten years now. I'm able to learn about painting just by observing the works of artist featured in each issue. I've read about how some wildlife artists go to great lengths just photograph and sketch from life wild animals in their natural environment and then go back to there studios and develop the paintings. The closest I've ever come to sketching a wild animal in it's natural environment was when I tried to draw a squirrel who was trying to run off with a bucket of chicken from Popeye's on the New Haven Green ( the squirrels in this town are gangsta )  Because I really didn't have the time to study the anatomy or observe these amazing creatures in person, I had to settle for stock photos I found on the Internet. I know that others who have the luxury of really observing and studying these animals in person could probably spot some drawing errors in the painting ( they stand out like sore thumb to me ) but I did the best I could with the time that I had to finish it and folks at Moose Meadows were very, very, very, pleased with the finished painting, so I guess it wasn't that bad. 

Also if your interested  family campgrounds definitely look them up. I've been going to Moose Meadows ever since I was a wee lad and now I take my family there. My daughter loves it just as much as I did. I'll now leave you with a moose related video. Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment